Sunday, December 10, 2006

Texas-themed weekend

I was supposed to be up for a move next summer, but that will most assuredly be delayed for another year. And if the last 24 hours have held any sort of premonition of where I will be for the next year, then Texas is the place. I say this because although I’ve been here for more than two years, I’ve yet to sense the real cowboy persona of Texas deeper than now.

It started with my staff holiday party last night. Someone/s who must have too much excitement for the upcoming San Antonio Rodeo decided the theme would be "Texas" (big buckles and cowboy hats, boots, redneck, or something along those lines). Surprisingly the crowd mostly pulled it off; complete with attire, eating Texas BBQ, and line dancing. The party had a genuine feel of the great state of Texas; even without the smell of manure.

Then today, we drove up to Austin to visit my cousin’s family as they celebrated their daughter’s 3rd b-day (Happy Birthday, Emma).

(This wasn't the first time the plastic horse entered the birthday cake then Emma's mouth. I would have done the same if it was my party!)

(Aiden wasn't in the partying mood)

Their suburban home isn’t a sprawling ranch, but somehow they did manage to have 4 (yes 1-2-3-4) ponies circumnavigating the backyard. The kids even abused a horse piƱata (Tex-Mex).

(Emma and her Mom on a "Harley")

Then to top off our Texas-themed chain of events when we arrived back in San Antonio, we ate dinner at Texas Land and Cattle Company. Continuing the theme certainly wasn’t planned and hadn’t even dawned on us until afterwards.

It may sound like we’re getting a little Texas in our blood, but I’m not going out to buy a rusty star for the outside of my house just yet. If you’ve been here, you know what I’m talking about.

Yee haw, ya’ll,

Marty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did get a little break from "Texas" when we spent 2 hours in the new IKEA in Round Rock. It brought back memories of the California days and some thoughts of Sweden. Does any one have a poang chair? We are thinking about getting one.

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me but I was country before country was cool. I'll show you pictures sometime. Yeehaw Mom