Monday, May 29, 2006

Illegal Stuff

So a few of us went downtown tonight and had dinner because we were denied our usual Sunday surf and turf. I won't bore you again with pictures but it was, of course, delicious.

Afterwards, we went to one of the shops on a corner near the restaurant and looked for souvenirs. I saw several things that I plan to buy. I will, however, hold out for serious shopping in Ethiopia or Kenya because that's where the Djiboutians import a lot of their wares. One of the most intriguing items for sale was an ivory tusk. Not a fake tusk, but a true to life, likely poached, tusk (see the picture below). That was a very tempting purchase, but buying poached ivory is like putting a stamp of approval on slaughtering an endangered species. That and the U.S. has laws against that sort of thing, so I'd be out $350 smackers if it was confiscated by customs. www.fws.gov/international/pdf/salaet.pdf



One of the vendors, Abi George, at the shop decided he liked me and wanted to share his khat with me. He insisted it was no different than having a beer. Here's what the Department of State has to say about khat: "Although the narcotic khat is legal and widely chewed in Djibouti, it is considered an illegal substance in many countries, including the United States." Needless to say, it was out of the question. But I took his picture and he asked that I print him a copy and bring it back in one week. I'll try to remember. And maybe if I do that for him, he'll give me a better deal on something...not khat.


(The green leaf in his hand is the khat. I think he pulled it out of a shopping bag, i.e. "dime bag")

Keepin' it legit,

Marty

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My god, it looks hot there. You know, as I sit here in my boxers in an air conditioned house, I do have to appreciate you, Marty. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be over there. :)

-David

Anonymous said...

Been hit in the head with any 2 by 4's? Pretty pasty white! Who am I?

Martin Gerst said...

Rings a bell, but something must have been knocked loose.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hit you in the head with a 2 by 4 when we were little.

Pooh

Martin Gerst said...

That would explain the memory loss.

Are you still in Germany?

My mom has my email address here. I would post it, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Anonymous said...

That khat dude looks like Ashy Larry from the Chappelle Show - too funny!! Stay cool over there, captain...

:-)

TSgt H