Saturday, June 17, 2006

Djibouti City

A few of you have asked me what Djibouti City is like. Let me just say a picture is worth a thousand words...


(This was probably around "khat time" when everyone closes up shop and chews the khat)


(I think most of the buildings were built by the French, but haven't been maintained since the Djiboutians gained their independence in 1977)


(I don't think Sony actually has a store there anymore. Cafe Mask, from a previous post, is to the left of this building)


(Most of the buildings have some kind of store on the bottom and residences above. Many of the stores are seldom open)

All the buildings aren't as bad as those in the pics. Above, you can see the building to the right that has been maintained or fixed up. I like the architectural style of the entries, terraces and windows of many of the buildings. I would have liked to see Djibouti City in its heyday.

Slummin' in DJ,

Marty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are right the buildings are run down but pretty in the way they are designed thanks for sharing, Luv ya, Mom