Sunday, November 05, 2006

Saturday Family Fun

This morning we decided on a family fun day as opposed to cleaning house or some other menial tasks. We thought we would try Sea World, but because of the ominous looking sky we opted for a shorter outdoor option. We went to play putt-putt golf. Vanessa scoured the internet for about two minutes and found a golf and games center down the road a few miles from our house. I hardly knew there was any civilization southeast of I-10, but turns out there are a few people who live out there. As we followed the directions that took us further out into the boonies it looked as if we might not find said entertainment location, but lo and behold it sprang up right where the map said it would be. (Thank you Yahoo). I was fully expecting to find a run down building with eighties-era games, but surprisingly it was all relatively new. The center has two 18-hole courses, bumper boats, paintball, a small (but decent) arcade, and food. In other words, a hoard of hyperactive children could possibly wear themselves out with all the activities available.

We started off with a game of putt-putt golf. Aiden hasn't actually played golf yet, but he gets practice with his plastic clubs supplied by his Papa (the same Papa who gave me my first set of clubs--not plastic, but I would probably fair better with plastic. If I didn't know better I would think Papa's trying to train and trade up to a better golfing companion).

I was pleasantly surprised that Aiden followed instruction so well. He would get a little excited and hurried, but for the most part he patiently waited his turn and then concentrated well on how to hold the club and hit the ball.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Not surprisingly, he actually beat his Mommy and me on two different holes. (In case you're new to this blog, he's three) I'm not saying he's a prodigy--he had a little help, but he did do well for his first time out (and he's three).


(This was after our first stroke. Aiden-Blue, Daddy-Orange, Mommy-Purple)


(He did this by himself. I think it went all the way down near the hole.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(Vanessa wasn't the only one who had to fish her ball out of water hazards; she just did it more often than us.)

We finished our 18 holes and headed inside for a few games. Aiden is fond of shooting games because he plays Nintendo Duck Hunt at Nana and Papa's house, so of course he made a B-line for Jurassic Park to shoot up some dinosaurs. We also played a couple of driving games where he would do the steering and I got to work the pedals (three, remember?).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(The aim was way off on the guns, but Aiden didn't notice, or care, he just kept shooting.)

We played some ski ball and he shot some hoops and we had a "friendly" game of air hockey.


(He did make a couple. He's better than me at basketball.)


(He beat me 5-2. Yes, I let him win. What kind of Dad do you think I am?)

After our entertainment, we headed home for lunch and a nap. When we (I needed a nap too!) woke up we went to the theater to watch "Flushed Away." The movie is from the same folks who did "Wallace and Grommit" and "Chicken Run." The difference is that instead of using clay animation, it was all computer animation and software to mimic clay-mation complete with imperfections such as the occasional fingerprint on the "clay." Overall, it was a pretty funny movie. I especially enjoyed the French frogs.

Golfing wherever I can get it,

Marty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a fun "family" day. Aiden kept referring to himself later that day as "quite the putter." I guess Marty and I said that a few times while he was golfing.