Monday, July 31, 2006

Pina coladas and...

Several of us were sitting around the office last night when all of a sudden we heard what sounded like someone opening up a bag of cats on our hot tin roof. We all looked at eachother and barreled outside. Sure enough, we were getting rained on.

To fill you in, Djibouti gets about a 5 inches of rain per year and this ain't the rainy season. In fact, the country has been in a drought for some time.

Without hesitation, Omar and I ran out to stand in the downpour. The rain only lasted a few minutes, but was enough to make puddles and mud all over camp. The smell of dirt permiated the air.

I'm glad I won't be here when the real rainy season comes. I mean rain more than once in a year, who would want to deal with that?

Gettin' caught in the rain,

Marty

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish we would get some rain! Looks like you're having fun:)

We love you!
Vanessa and Aiden

Anonymous said...

Wish we could get some rain to. Luv Ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty! Your mom just gave me this sight...love it! Looks like you are having a blast! Talk to you again soon, Anita